Wednesday, January 6, 2010

IPhone the new cigarette

The other day I was waiting for a friend to meet me. I was uncharacteristically early to the restaurant and found myself awkwardly sitting there with nothing to do. No book, no magazine, just me. Hating the uncomfortable feeling I was experiencing, I had thoughts like, "what am I supposed to do with my hands? Do I fold them? lay them on the table, or at my sides?" Really, it was weird. I suddenly became extremely aware of myself. Looking for some distraction, I went straight to my phone. I have one of those android phones in which I can Gchat, text, blog, surf the web, Facebook, shop, stalk and distract myself from being me. Whatever I want to do. Immediately I felt a sense of security. No I am not just waiting for a friend, I am BUSY while I wait for a friend.
The whole experience reminded me of back in the day, I would find myself waiting for the bus, coffee, person to meet, I would grab a fag and puff away. That left me with the confidence that surely no one will talk to me or bother me, I am smoking! Go away! This whole memory from the past made me think...the Iphone IS the new cigarette! It is that awkward escape from the reality that you are there. Still, in thought and free hands.

I must admit, I like a good smoke now and then. It makes me happy, the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment